Friday, March 28, 2014

LET'S GO BACK TO THE BASICS


Remember the shooting incident happened in SM Pampanga last September 2011 involving two young men? A crime of passion. I wrote an article about that disturbing incident. I even sent it to PDI but they did not publish it that's why I just posted it on my FB.

I am browsing my Facebook account the night of September 20, 2011 when I saw a friend’s post on my wall of a news that scandalized the whole nation. At first, I did not mind it and just ignored the many comments it received since I am in a hurry at that time and all I wanted is just to update my status and send an important e-mail.

It’s been a week or so since I was totally disconnected to the world of current events because our television already “passed away” after almost a decade. And since I don’t have any easy access, I just tried to update myself through the cyberspace.

The following day, the same news caught my attention again after logging in. This time, I stopped for a while and read the post stating that a 13-year old boy shoots himself using a .22 caliber gun after shooting his 16-year old boyfriend. I was totally shocked with what I read. I cannot help myself but to know the whole story and the last thing I know is I am already clicking the many links pasted on the comment box leading to many sites. When you look at their pictures, you will see that these two young boys are full of energy, enthusiasm, and spirit. It’s really painful that their young spirit was only wasted in just a moment.

One post that I found is the link of the Facebook account of the 13-year old boy. I read his wall posts as well as the posts of his friends. Honestly, I was really saddened while reading his account. Even though I do not know him personally, I can feel how wounded this boy must be. The story even haunted me in my dreams, that’s why I wrote this article as a way of treating myself and finally move on.

There must be a deeper issue underlying the real cause why he committed such act. Jealousy, as what the initial findings of the police investigators is just the precipitating factor of the boy’s behavior. For a 13-year old to think of killing his life and of other person’s, he must be suffering a lot.

As a youth, I still believe in the influence of my parents and a big part of who I am right now is because of how my parents reared me. Adolescents are seeking their identity and societal roles from their environment especially to his significant people at home. And if they cannot find their identities at home, they might look for it somewhere else.

I appeal to all parents in behalf of all young generation to please let us go back to the basics. More than what you give us materially and financially, we badly need YOU – your love, your attention, your concern, the REAL YOU.

Let us go back to the basics where parents have quality time to their children, for their children, and with their children. More than your nag and reprimand, we need your listening ears, your sweet hugs and kisses, your healing touch, and your constructive advices brought about by the wisdom of your experiences.

Dear parents, we, as young people have a lot of questions in our mind and we believe that you are the right person who can answer them. Please do not let the television, internet, and other forms of media answer our questions in life. Do not let sex, drugs, alcohol, and other forms of vices grab our attention and give us a temporary fulfillment and satisfaction. Can we not go back to the old ways wherein you are always there on our side, accompanying us in our journey? We appreciate your every effort in giving us a happy life but life would be much happier and meaningful if it is spent with you. May you help us find our true selves and prevent another adolescent suicide story to happen again.

As a young educator, I am also appealing to all members of the academe to take our active role in preventing cases like this to our students and all young people. May we have time to listen to their feelings, ideas, concerns, and problems. More than the task of finishing our lesson plans and all the chapters in our reference books, it is our sole responsibility to mold their personalities and characters, helping them find solutions in their confusions.

And to all young people, I am encouraging you; do not hesitate to ask questions to your parents and teachers. There are a lot of sensible adult who would be willing to help you. In times of confusion, do not seek answers on your virtual Facebook friends. They themselves may also be confused like you. Your parents and teachers are very much willing to listen to you. And in the end, always seek happiness in the right place and at the right time. Do not try to escape from your problems by ending your own life. Remember the last statement of the famous poem Desiderata: “With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy.”

To the two young boy in the story and all children who are victims of violence, IN PACE REQUISCAT!

2 comments: