Saturday, January 24, 2015

The Zaccheus in Me: Personal Reflections on the Papal Visit

“Lord, I want to see the Pope!” This is my personal prayer to God days before the visit of Pope Francis. I don’t want to miss this chance because this is my first experience of a Papal visit. Although I am already in elementary and fully aware of what’s happening when St. John Paul II visited the country for the World Youth Day in 1995, I was not able to join the event. And since nobody knows when will be the next Papal visit after 2015, or if I am still alive when that event happens; I grabbed the opportunity. When the Archdiocesan Commission on Youth (ACY) of Manila called for some volunteers as animators for the Pope’s meeting with the young people at UST, I immediately signed up. I would have chosen to become mere spectator during the visit or even simply attend some of the scheduled events, but, I chose to be personally involved. I want to have a memorable experience with the Holy Father because I believe that God will surprise me.


And He did not disappoint me. The surprises came prior to the landing of the Holy Father’s airplane in the Philippines. As early as October, we convened for our rehearsals. Our coordinators set a rule that we are only allowed to have two absences or else we will be removed from the list. God surprised me. He was the one who fixed my schedule. I was able to attend the rehearsal on November 29 and came on time at Ninoy Aquino Stadium for our Gratitude Day celebration. The A&E exams of our ALS students which is scheduled on December 14, Sunday, was postponed that’s why I was able to attend our third practice..

Even my position in the stage, it was a gift from God. I may have been placed on the orchestra stage or on the bishops’ stage. I believe it was God who placed me there, on the second line of the animators on the main stage. It was only a day before when we were informed by Fr. Caloy that the Pope will come near to us and that he will be dancing with us. Fr. Caloy then requested us that on the last part of the song “Tell the World of His Love” we are to face the Holy Father so he may see us. My heart leaped for joy. Another surprise from the Lord. I already planned what I will do when that moment comes. I made sure that my phone is fully charged so that I may be able to capture a photo of the Holy Father. But, to tell you the truth, the plan almost failed. When I face the Holy Father, literally, my world stopped. I cannot move. I even forgot the next action of the song. I just looked at him. I agree with those people saying that when you see the Pope, you will be in awe. In short, matutulala ka and I experienced that.I will never forget the unlimited smile, the eye to eye contact, the arms and hands outstretched, blessing all of us. Then, I just saw myself crying. I saw Cardinal Tagle and one of the Dominican priests also crying. I saw Archbishop Soc Villegas and Archbishop Giussepe Pinto (the Papal Nuncio) looking at us, smiling. Thanks to God, I regained my consciousness. When the Holy Father prepares to leave the stage, I quickly get my phone inside my pocket and took photos of Pope Francis. I have my personal photos of him. Why did my world stop? Simply put, I saw and felt Jesus’ presence from Pope Francis.




Here are some of the photos of the Holy Father
captured by the camera of my cellphone.
Thanks to God, I was able to make it before he leaves the stage.

After that encounter, I reflected on my experiences. Through the use of three images, God sent me His message.

THE RAIN. For those present last Sunday, you would agree with me that that day is very inconvenient because of the rain. I am soaking wet and have no provisions to cover my body. Thanks to my small handkerchief, I was able to cover my head. But, that’s the blessings of God. God poured so many blessings to us through the Holy Father. He allowed the rain to pour so we can feel that He really loves us. The air is very cold but we can feel the immense heat of God’s love to us Filipinos and most especially to young people. God blessed us with the holy water literally from heaven. He promised us, through the prophet Isaiah that He will bless us and He will “let the clouds rain the just” (cf. Isaiah 45:8).

THE “KIKAY” KIT. Don’t bring backpacks, gadgets, ballpen, umbrellas, etc. Even headsets are being confiscated upon entrance. This is for security reasons. When I go out, I usually bring my body bag with me which contains my personal stuff. But on that day, I am walking it’s as if I am naked, with nothing except my cellphone on my right pocket, my cross on the left, and my handkerchief on my back pocket. I realized that in order to see God, Ineed to travel light. Leave the excess baggage of my life – regrets, pains, worries, and sin to leave a space and room for Jesus. He is true when he commissioned his disciples: “Take nothing with you for the trip: no walking stick, no beggar’s bag, no food, no money, not even an extra shirt.” (Luke 9:3) At the end of the day, it is only between me and my God.

THE TRANSPARENT BAG. Prior to the Papal events, we are reminded repeatedly that the transparent bags are the only one allowed for the convenience of security check. This, for me, is a symbol of a pure heart. In those days, I am being reminded to have an open and pure heart in order to see and experience the Kingdom of God. And for the messages of God thru Pope Francis to take effect and multiply, I am challenged to have an open and pure heart cultivated by constant prayer and acts of love. I must be transparent in front of God, no reservation, no apprehension, no wearing of masks. “Blessed are the pure of heart, for they shall see God.” (Matthew 5:8)

In the end, I would like to compare myself to Zaccheus, who “was trying to see who Jesus was, but he was a little man and could not see Jesus because of the crowd.” (Luke 19:3) We are like Zaccheus who wants to see Jesus thru His vicar, the Pope. We are too little but as what the Holy Father told us, “Let us allow ourselves to be surprised by God.” Jesus surprised Zaccheus by inviting him to come down from the sycamore tree to visit his house (v. 5). Pope Francis is not with us physically anymore. He left our country but his teachings will still remain in our memory. The challenge for us young people is not to become “young museums who have everything but not knowing what to do with it”. Reiterating what the Holy Father told us: “We don’t need young museums but we do need HOLY YOUNG PEOPLE.” How? “It is the challenge of love. To learn how to love.”

The Holy Father will making his exit from the University of Santo Tomas 
after the encounter with the youth, January 18, 2015

4 comments:

  1. Pope Francis is God's gift for all of us, and I will say that Kuya Al, our kuya Al of POLA PYM/YM is also a God's gift to us. Thank you po for sharing your amazing experience and inspiring reflections last Papal Youth encounter.
    -Kahit malayo man ako/kami sa stage, I really felt that I'm one of the animators who's dancing "Tell the world of his Love", Honestly po, hindi ko na msyado maaninag sa Pope Francis dahil malayo and all the participants have their phones/cameras who's taking also pictures , I just focused my eyes on you guys "Animators" especially kuya Ariel , ang sa inyo po na malapit dun sa stage mas kita ko kayo nung time po na yun! And hindi ko lang din maintindian na, while dancing and singing the last song, I felt complete that time kasi nakita ko kayo na kasama nio si Pope. And when you turned back and had an eye to eye encounter with Pope Francis, I had mixed emotions , (proud, full of happiness, teary eyed).
    And want to thank you for the effort na bumaba ka po agad ng stage after that encounter and tinawag mu kme kahit may harang , you hugged us (Ate Jo, Jazeil and ako) . I appreciated the love and affection of God to me. I don’t have any focus photos and good shots to Pope Francis or any chances na makalapit ako sa kanya . But you Kuya Al, God used you as an instrument to also share the love to us. In your warm hug to me, I believe that during those time kahit super saglit lang, God was on you! :)
    -- With the reflections you shared I remembered the saying "Believe first before you see the miracle"
    It was all unexpected to us , we really never expect what will happen that time but we just believe to our God the Father, and it was proven that He will do rest by giving to us an abundant miracle, grace and LOVE .
    I will share this good news, para marami pa pong makabasa at ma inspire. To God be the glory!






    PS.
    I love you Kuya Al. God loves you more.
    (Smile :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jen. The entire Filipino people has blessed by God thru our Holy Father. I really thank the Lord for this opportunity of serving Him, the Holy Father, and the Church. I remember Cardinal Tagle's statement when he was appointed as Cardinal that when we were in front of a great mystery, in front of the presence of God, we can't help but to cry and tremble. That explains my feelings on that day! Thank you Jen.

      Delete
  2. ..super nice blog Kuya Al, so inspiring..this is worth sharing for.. My favorite line is.. "“Lord, I want to see The Pope!”. connecting it..I just can't remember when was it pero minsan dahil sa sobrang pagmamahal ng Diyos, I prayed to Him too, sabi ko "I want to meet Jesus personally" .. then everything goes on.. like what you've experienced.

    Agreed with Ate Jen, "God used you as an instrument to also share the love to us". You let God uses you as a blessing. Thank you so much sa hug, Nung bumaba ka at lumapit samin kahit may harang.. feeling ko that time nakayakap na ko kay Pope. Seeing your teary eyes, (nangigilid pa mga luha mo nun) I saw and felt kung gaano mo na na-appreciate surprise ni Lord sayo. Ramdam ko pag-uumapaw ng iyong puso..While reading this, I understand better the roots of your tears, Na-iinspire ako :) , You've inspired us so much.

    Salamat Kuya Al because by your reflections, you help us see things beyond and focus on God's surprises. More power, inspirations and blogs to come. God is with you :) All for His Glory, pa share din po..

    #taympers
    #siLoloKikoatsiKuyaAL

    ReplyDelete